In 1951, the Indiana General Assembly passed legislation creating the Indiana Toll Road Commission. Construction began September 1954 and was completed in November 1956. 6,238 engineers and workmen labored 786 days to complete the $280 million project, which covered 7,000 acres of land.
The ITR opened in sections beginning in August 1956 with the final section opened in November 1956, and it’s been operational since that time. The road’s formal name is Interstate 90, linking Chicago with the eastern seaboard of the United States along the northern border of Indiana.
In 1985, subsequent legislation authorized the Toll Finance Authority to enter into contracts or leases with the Department of Highways for the operation of all toll road and toll bridge projects. In 2006, the Indiana General Assembly authorized ITRCC to take control of the Indiana Toll Road.
As it is structured today, the Indiana Toll Road is operated and maintained by ITR Concession Company LLC. The ITRCC Administration Office is located in Granger, Ind. The staff at ITRCC is responsible for construction, maintenance, repair and operation of the Indiana Toll Road projects within Indiana. It is charged with formulating, developing and recommending a continuing long-range toll road plan and short-term improvement programs. ITRCC is also responsible for communicating planning information to the public, interested agencies and organizations.
About the ITR:
- 157 miles in length
- Divided into two sections:
- The Western section, along the line between Indiana and Illinois: 23 miles under a barrier system.
- The Eastern section along the line between Indiana and Ohio: 134 miles under a ticket system.
- 143.7 miles are 2+2 and 13 miles are 3+3
- 734.6 lane miles
- Electronic tolling collection was implemented along the entire road in April 2008
- Tolls went unchanged from 1985 until June 3, 2006
- Payment methods accepted: Cash, credit card, electronic tolling